header 1
header 2
header 3

In Memory

Lorna Johnson (Hough)

Lorna Hough, 64, of Barnesville, MN died on Saturday, December 3, 2016 at Essentia Hospital, Fargo, following complications for surgery.   

Funeral Services will be 11:00 AM, Friday, December 9, 2016 at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Barnesville, MN with Rev. Chris Leach officiating.  Burial will follow in Little Bethany Cemetery. 

Visitation will be held 5-8 PM Thursday, at Dobmeier Funeral Home in Barnesville, MN with a Prayer Service at 7:00 PM.  Visitation will continue for one hour prior to the funeral service on Friday. 

Lorna Ann Johnson was born May 14, 1952 in Williston, ND to Carl and Thelma (Green) Johnson.  She grew up in Williston, and graduated from Williston High School in 1970.  She attended college for a year in Williston.  Lorna began working for Northwestern Bell Telephone Company, transferring to Fargo in 1973, and was a phone operator for 30 years.  She was united in marriage to Alden Arthur Hough on October 16, 1982 in Fargo.  They made their home on the Hough Family Farm near Barnesville.  Following retirement from the phone company, Lorna cooked and worked at the Barnesville Child Day Care Center for 10 years. 

Helping with her granddaughter Emery was the highlight of any day.  Lorna loved to keep up with family and friends through Facebook and she enjoyed shopping.  She was generous and supported many fund raisers.   She served as Humboldt Township Treasurer for many years.  She was a member of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church and active with the Ladies Aid.  

She is survived by her husband Alden Hough, Fergus Falls, MN; two sons: Michael Hough, Barnesville; and Ryan (Heather) Hough, Barnesville; a granddaughter, Emery; 4 siblings:  Melford (Elemeda) Johnson, Mesa, AZ; Barbara (Nyle) Trogstad, Williston, ND; Cindy (Craig) Mahlum, Williston, ND; and Beverly (Robert) Sundet, Midland, TX; several nieces and nephews, other relatives and friends.    

Lorna was preceded in death by parents Carl and Thelma Johnson; and one brother Dennis Vance.     

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

12/05/16 10:37 AM #1    

Mary Fay


I'm so glad I was able to see and have some time with Lorna at the reunion in Az a couple of years ago.  Sorry to hear yet another class mate has died.  I hope her family and loved ones are comforted with good memories. With Deepest Sympathies to those who will miss her.  Mary Fay, Bend, OR






12/06/16 07:55 AM #2    

Debra Fougner (Croucher)

Such a kind and loving soul...and a Great Cook!  Those who participated in the progressive brunch at the AZ reunion were fortunate to share in Lorna's signature caramel rolls.

3 loaves of frozen bread dough {YEP, I cheated}
3  1/2 Sticks of Butter {hope you are not worried about your diet}
Brown Sugar
White Sugar
Vanilla Ice Cream  (Lorna like to substitue butter brickle or other favorites!!)
Thaw your bread according to the package directions.  With a rolling pin, roll the each loave out about 1/4 of an inch thick in an oval shape on a floured surface.  Take softened butter and smear over the dough {using half a stick on each loaf}.  Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the butter {about 2 TBSP per loaf}.  Then lightly sprinkle some brown sugar over the cinnamon.  You will probably use about 1/2 cup of brown sugar per loaf.  Roll the dough up so you have a long tube.  Cut the rolls so they are about 3/4 of an inch thick.  You should get 12 rolls per loaf.  Transfer the rolls to a greased 9x13 pan { 3 pans}.
For the gooey goodness....
In a sauce pan, melt 2 sticks of butter and  2 cups of ice cream.  Add 1 1/2 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar.  Bring to a boil for 1 minute.  Pour mixture evenly over the  pans of cinnamon rolls.  Allow the rolls to rise at room temperature until they are almost double in size.   I set mine on top of my stove while my oven preheats which helps them rise. 
Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  When rolls are finished allow them to cool a few minutes then flip them out on a cookie sheet and allow to cool completely {ah, who am I kidding...allow them to cool until they won't burn your mouth}.  ENJOY!!!
If you want to prepare these the evening before you can.  Just don't let them rise at room temperature, but instead cover them with saran wrap sprayed with cooking spray and place in the refrigerator overnight.  They will slowly rise overnight and will be ready to pop in the oven in the morning. 


12/07/16 09:03 PM #3    

Sally Johnson (Wallace)

I was so saddened to see this post on facebook.  She had asked for prayers just a couple days before.  I had no idea that the surgery was clearly for a serious condition.  Where Lorna and I were both Johnsons we would be in many classes together etc. I think it was because of the alphabet...but maybe it was just meanr to be.  Never did an unkind work come out of her mouth.  I will remember her as a happy person and always interested in others.  Such a gift that is.

Thank you for her recipe.  That is one that I need to copy and paste.  Something like that is a treat to share at the holidays or when special family gatherings are on the schedule.  I will rermember her when I make them. Thanks Deb for posting it here. 

God Bless her family as they move into living life without her. We miss her, and I can imagine the loss to close friends and family.

Sally Johnson Wallace

12/07/16 10:57 PM #4    

Mick Soiseth

I'm very sad to hear of Lorna's passing. We grew up only a block away from each other on West Broadway. We both went to Webster school. We were never really close friends but I know she was a good and kind person. I wish I could have gotten to know her better. God bless her memory.

12/08/16 08:58 PM #5    

David Romans

God seems to be takingall the good ones. Lorna was the best there ever was or evervwill be.

The Arizona reunion will forever be Lorna's. Peace and much love Lorna. 

12/13/16 01:01 PM #6    

Cindy Holter (Iverson)

I still can't believe she is gone. We had lunch together last summer at Homesteader's in Minot. She was taking a break from caring for her husband. We talked about many things, the reunion, her husbands condition, her children, and her health. 

We always had 3-4 Words With Friends games going. The last two were never completed. We did, however, talk about her health. She said she was on oxygen 24/7 and her heart and lungs were okay. She talked again, about her husband and how his condition had deteriorated. I think she nursed him for years. So ironic he out-lasted her.

When we were flooded, she was one of the first to respond. I'll never forget it. She said, "We don't have much money, but could we pay for some cleaning supplies?" That was Lorna; always kind, always giving, always happy.

Yes, I'll remember her cinnamon rolls, and the many recipes she posted on Facebook, but it's who she was as a person I will always remember and look up to.  Bye, my friend; rest in His care.

Love Always,

Cindy Holter-Iverson

go to top 
  Post Comment